CTEC is an authorized training facility for Computer Technology Computer Association (CompTIA A+ Certification). CompTIA A+ is the preferred qualifying technical support certification for IT operational roles. The Computer Technologies program is a high-level, intensive one-year course that prepares students with entry-level IT skills focusing on computer maintenance, diagnostics, repair, and introductory networking skills.
The course is delivered through the CompTIA-approved TestOut Curriculum. Instruction is provided for computer hardware, operating systems and peripherals, networking essentials, mobile devices, basic test equipment, diagnostic methods, and electronic fundamentals necessary to understand and service basic computer systems.
COMPUTER TECHNOLOGIES STUDENTS LEARN:
- Personal computer (PC) troubleshooting, hardware installation, and repair
- Mobile device operation
- Windows operating system diagnostics and virus removal
- Client services
- Soft Skills
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION OPPORTUNITIES
- Computer Technologies Certificate of Completion
- Opportunity to take exam for CompTIA A+ certification (fee required)
- TestOut PC Pro Certification (students will all take exam as a part of the program)
- NetworkPro Certification (for students willing to take on individual home study course)
- Google IT Certification through Coursera
HIGH SCHOOL CREDIT AVAILABLE
Students earn 15 units each semester toward their high school graduation (10 elective units and 5 general math units).
College prep course. A-G approved. Meets area “G” approval for UC and CSU admissions.
BAKERSFIELD COLLEGE CREDIT AVAILABLE
- COMP B34 CompTIA A+; – 3 units
CAREER PATHWAYS AND RELATED OCCUPATIONS
This is a career awareness class that instructs students on the basics necessary for entry-level employment. Successful Computer Technologies students often pursue careers in the following:
- IT Support Technician
- Helpdesk Support Specialist
- Network Administrator
- Systems Engineer
- IT Coordinator
Advisory Board/Industry Partners
The Advisory Board provides crucial guidance for the Computer Technologies program at CTEC. These industry partners have generously donated their time and expertise to share industry trends, offer assistance, and ensure the curriculum is providing the highest levels of training and career development opportunities for our students.
- Kern High School District
- Beardsley School District
- Greenfield Union School District
- Edison School District
- Fruitvale School District
- Bakersfield College
- Valley Baptist
- Grapevine MSP
- ARRC Technology
- VTech Support
- A-C Electric Company