Location: North High School. Bus transportation is NOT provided.
AM Session Only: 7:30am to 10:30am
Have you ever dreamed of flying? Interested in all things aerospace? This is a course designed to begin students on the pathway to ground school and flight simulator training. Ten static Redbird simulators, one FMX full-motion fixed-wing simulator and a new full-motion Redbird VTO helicopter simulator await students in the classroom.
With proximity to Meadows Field Airport, students will be introduced to professional industrial partners, including the United States Air Force, California Aeronautical University, Bakersfield Flying Club, Atlantic Aviation Experimental Aircraft Association, Civil Air Patrol, Hall Air Ambulance, Wonderful Aviation, and American Airlines.
AEROSPACE STUDENTS LEARN:
- Fundamental principles of aerodynamics, aviation safety, basic aircraft systems, Garmin G1000 operations, the airport environment, basic instrument flight, air traffic control procedures, FAA regulations, the basic elements of air navigation and a review of aviation weather.
- Refined flight skills through the classroom use of simulator training and drone operation.
- Civilian and military pathways that secure a profession with the aerospace community.
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION OPPORTUNITIES
Certifications offered to students completing the Aerospace program include:
- FAA Private Pilot Written Examination Preparation
- Part 107 FAA Drone Pilot
Aerospace students should demonstrate grade level proficiency in English and mathematics, as well as have a solid attendance record.
HIGH SCHOOL CREDIT AVAILABLE
Students earn 15 units each semester toward their high school graduation. College prep course. Meets area “G” approval for UC admissions.
CAREER PATHWAYS AND RELATED OCCUPATIONS
This is a career awareness class which instructs students on the basics necessary for entry-level employment. Successful Aerospace students often pursue careers in the following:
- Instructor, commercial airline, drone, or military pilot
- Air Traffic Controller
- Airport Management
- Aviation Maintenance Technician
- Aviation Operations