In this one-year program, students will be taught to bond metal together using GMAW, FCAW-G, and GTAW welding processes. Instruction will include an emphasis on cutting, grinding, and welding various metals. Lay-out, blueprint reading, shop safety, and shop discipline practices are stressed throughout the program. Fabrication and construction of various projects are the focus of the course.
Advanced welding industry qualifications and forklift certification will be made available to the students during the program, and mathematics is incorporated into daily lessons and projects. Ideal candidates will have completed the ROC Welding Program or a similar Welding / AG Mechanics course, but this is not required.
METAL FABRICATION STUDENTS LEARN:
- Reading blueprints
- Planning and completing welding projects
- Creating job estimates and customer order procedures
- Completing certifications necessary in the welding industry
- Fundamentals of the fabrication process
- Shop procedures, including safety practices, shop discipline, and cleaning/maintenance
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION OPPORTUNITIES
Certifications offered to students completing the Metal Fabrication course include:
- Metal Fabrication Certificate of Completion
- S/P2 Welding and Collision Safety certifications
- Forklift Driving certification
- AWS D1.1S Structural Steel Certification for SMAW & FCAW
- ASME Sec.9 Pipe Test
HIGH SCHOOL CREDIT AVAILABLE
Students earn 15 elective units each semester toward their high school graduation.
College prep course. A-G approved. Meets area “G” approval for UC and CSU admissions.
BAKERSFIELD COLLEGE CREDIT AVAILABLE
WELD B1b – Introduction to Welding Processes (2 units)
Students meeting BC’s established criteria can earn up to 6 units of BC credit in addition to the above high school credit.
CAREER PATHWAYS AND RELATED OCCUPATIONS
This is a career awareness class that instructs students on the basics necessary for entry-level employment. Successful Welding & Metal Fabrication students oftentimes pursue careers in the following:
- Welding helper
- Welder Mechanic
- Maintenance Welder
- Construction Welder
- Pipe Welder