This program only accepts high school seniors. Juniors are encouraged to enroll in Introduction to Health Careers.
Dental Assisting is an exciting and rewarding career. Working as a dental assistant never gets old as there is always something new to learn and always another technology to master. CTEC’s Dental Assistant program delivers career focused instruction. You will learn how to perform duties such a patient care, radiology, sterilization, tray set-ups, equipment maintenance, charting, and front office duties. Students are prepared for an entry level position as an unlicensed Dental Assistant upon successful completion of this program..
DENTAL ASSISTANT STUDENTS LEARN:
- Procedures for taking vital signs
- Chairside assisting
- Mixing cements
- Taking and pouring up study models and opposing impressions
- Restorative procedures/specialty procedures
- Preventative dentistry
- Head and neck anatomy/ tooth anatomy
- Medical emergencies
- Tooth Identification
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION OPPORTUNITIES
Certifications offered to students completing the Dental Assistant program include:
- Dental Assistant Certificate of Completion
- CPR certificate (American Heart Association)
- Radiology certification
- 8 Hour Infection Control certificate
- HIPAA certificate
ENROLLMENT PREREQUISITES HIGH SCHOOL CREDIT AVAILABLE
Students earn 15 elective units each semester toward their high school graduation.
College prep course. A-G approved. Meets area “G” approval for UC and CSU admissions.
CAREER PATHWAYS AND RELATED OCCUPATIONS
This is a career awareness class that instructs students on the basics necessary for entry-level employment. Successful Dental Assisting students often pursue careers in the following:
- Registered Dental Assistant
- Registered Dental Hygienist
- Registered Dental Assistant EF
- Sterilization Technician
- Dental Lab Technician
- Front Office Dental Staff