ROC’s Ag/Diesel Mechanics program is the only diesel program in Kern County. This one year course offers students the opportunity to train in a rapidly expanding industry which is expected to grow by 12% from 2017 to 2024 (Source: US BLS).
The Ag/Diesel Mechanics program provides instruction for the inspection, repair, maintenance, and operation of diesel engines. During the second semester of the program, eligible students serve an internship at local businesses.
Ag/Diesel Mechanics students learn:
- Checklists for inspection procedures
- Test driving skills to diagnose vehicle malfunctions
- Skills to read and interpret diagnostic test results
- Repair techniques to replace malfunctioning components of mechanical or electrical equipment
Professional Certification opportunities
Certifications offered to students completing the Ag/Diesel Mechanics program include:
- Mobile Air Conditioning Society (MACS) certification
- Forklift Operation Certification
- Small Engine Repair Certification
Successful completion of an introductory course in ag mechanics or equivalent background and experience is recommended, but not required.
High School credit available
Students earn 15 units of elective credit each semester toward their high school graduation.
College prep course. A-G approved. Meets area “G” approval for UC and CSU admissions.
Bakersfield college credit available
Ag Diesel Mechanics is articulated with Bakersfield College courses in:
- MCAG B3 – Small Gas Engines (3 units)
- MCAG B11 – Introduction to Diesel Engine Repair (4 units)
Students meeting BC’s established criteria can earn up to 7 units of BC credit in addition to the above high school credit.
Career Pathways and Related Occupations
This is a career awareness class that instructs students on the basics necessary for entry-level employment. Successful Ag/Diesel Mechanics students often pursue careers in the following:
- Small engines mechanic
- Automotive service technician/mechanic
- Heavy vehicle/mobile equipment technician
- Air conditioning mechanic
- Diesel mechanic