Regional Occupational Center is proud to host the Kern High School District’s school farm. Under the direction of Mr. Ralph Mendes, this fully functioning farm provides Ag and Future Farmers of America (FFA) students throughout the district the opportunity to tend to their animals and to gain valuable work experience.
- Grazing fields for sheep, goats, and yak.
- Pens for hogs and cattle.
- Foul house for chickens, roosters, and turkeys.
- Fully functioning green house, gardening beds, and fruit & nut orchard.
- Tractors, storage sheds, and work stations throughout.
- Dedicated maintenance crew tending to animal and farm needs 7 days a week.
- Daily access to ag and FFA students and their instructors.
Future Farmers of America (FFA)
FFA is a national student organization which makes a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth and career success through agricultural education.
Vibrant and active FFA chapters are available to students attending most KHSD comprehensive schools, as well as at ROC. Students participate in campus and school farm activities, as well as compete in regional, state, and national competitions.
Kern Ag Foundation’s Ag Pavilion
Mr. Mendes also coordinates the Kern Ag Foundation’s Ag Pavilion, located at 3300 East Belle Terrace, Bakersfield, CA 93307. For facility information, rental fees, and map, visit www.kernagfoundation.com/agpav.htm.
Meet Mr. Mendes
- KHSD Ag Ed Coordinator at ROC since 2012. KHSD Ag Instructor since 1981.
- Single Subject-Agriculture and Ag Specialist teaching credentials.
- AS, Agriculture (Santa Rosa JC); BS, Mechanized Agriculture (Cal Poly, SLO); MS, Ag Education (Cal Poly, SLO).
- Began Agriculture teaching career at Shafter High in 1981; managed 50 acre school farm.
- Transferred to Foothill High in 1988; developed Agriculture Partnership Academy.
- FHS program named “Outstanding 2-3 person Agriculture Program” in California, 1999 and 2006
- California Ag Teachers Association (CATA) leadership at county, regional, and state levels.
- California Future Farmers of America (FFA) Advisory Board member for 15 years.
- BTSA new teacher support provider for 17 years.
- Currently coordinate 14 school programs, 5 school farms, and 35 Ag Ed instructors in the KHSD.
- Currently manage Kern Ag Foundation Agricultural Pavilion
- Member of Laurelglen Bible Church; sang in church choir for 22 years.
- Married with 5 adult children and 6 grandkids.
- Hobbies include working in the shop and fixing old cars and motorcycles.